Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Imagination

Yesterday my kid sister got mad at me saying that I no longer had an imagination. I wish someone had told me of this or else I wouldn't have been thinking all the things I was thinking. I mean, to think that I could have been in deep contemplation of politics and the health care plan! How dare she wait to tell me this so to rob me of such an opportunity?
I must have been wasting my time making up a life story for the man in the car next to us. It was a black charger (yes, I knew what car it was- you may applaud me). At the speed we were both traveling we were able to keep at the same distance so that the driver window of his car fit perfectly with the back seat where I was sitting. Devon (that's his name. . . maybe) was playing with something that could one of three things.
1- A deck of playing cards
2- A pack of tissues
3- A thing of cigarettes
For the stories sake, we'll say that Devon was twirling a pack of cigarettes in his right hand while driving with his left.
You see, Devon has been a smoker for about six years. He started at 14 to fit in with the cool kids and to get some attention from his parents - recently divorced. While partying in high school, things got a little out of hand and he kissed his wrestling scholarship good-bye while he fufilled his sentance for community service. Since then he has been struggling with the demons in his life - the major one being his addiction to smoking. While working a couple of jobs, one being a waiter at Denny's, he saved for his sweet ride. Cigarettes in hand he was left with the ultimate decision, to smoke or not to smoke. (Wow, to think that Hamlet had it easy). I don't know how this story ends because he turned right when we went straight but I like to think that he never did light up. He won this one.
Especially if it was a deck of cards. That wouldn't be very safe in a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment