Friday, April 9, 2010

Date Night

Why yes, I am single.
Driving, mostly according to the speed limit give or take or not at all, down 1300 East in an effort to make it to the movies on time. (The best part about being in a hurry to get somewhere is the destination. It is the one thing that motivates your lane changes, your fingers drumming on the steering wheel either in frustration because the light will never turn green fast enough or to that new diddy on the radio, and your somewhat wide but no one got hurt so its good left turn into the parking lot.)
In a moment of spontaneity I took off to see "Date Night" to be amused by the comedic strategy of Steve Carell and the intriguing repartee that is Tina Fey. After reading a very unimpressive review I thought that I would share my opinion.
This here is the movie that is a lot like any movie where average people are put in above average circumstances but perform horribly and marvelously all at the same time.
I enjoyed the appearance of Saturday Night Live actress Kristen Whig, the classic black taxi cab driver, and the appearance of the Audi R8.
Now, it isn't your psychological mind bender or your tear jerking sports thriller but it fills a laugh at the ordinary being extraordinary void.
In no way would I say to take this movie seriously because you will only be disappointed. You should probably start with "Baby Mama" and "Get Smart" and go from there.
I have a hard time seeing what people could complain about. here we have to off the wall actors who commonly are mixing it up with pop culture references being a little more normal. What's the harm in that?
Phil and Claire Foster are your average married couple from New Jersey (ha ha ha New Jersey **shaking head back and forth**). They've run dry on the flirtatiousness and are overflowing with the run of the mill exhaustion. As you can see with any trailer, they try to take a step out the box of their ordinary and end up in big trouble. They are definitely jimmy jacked. (I love that phrase. Seriously, my favorite).
Carell and Fey don't have the chemistry that is Kate Hudson Wesley and Princess Buttercup. They have a bit of the old people that hold hands when they need each other and a sense that they just get each other.
The finalizing moment for me in knowing if I really liked a movie or not is the drive home. I pulled out of the parking lot and kept laughing. There you have it. The seal of approval.
Laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment