Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day everyone!



I will admit that I woke up this morning with a little more of a spring in my step and purpose in my walk. I love Earth Day. What other cause is there that can bind each individually? We all live her and we all hope to continue to do so.
What better way could Mother Earth be celebrating a day honoring her achievements then to take a deep cleansing shower? She is treating herself to a little self-love.
With the elements whirling about me I walked in and out of classes, every step taking deep breath after deep breath. The smell of rain awakens all sorts of feelings and hopes I have for myself and the world around me.
I tightened my baseball cap, put on my jacket and set of to the grocery store. Never have I seen so much beauty in each puddle. Step after step I saw the grass which seemed to be getting greener, trees that seemed to stretch taller, and flowers that seemed to bloom with a little more pride then they have in days past.
Along with the wonders and beauties of the earth I also saw what man could do. I saw wrappers now drenched forming meche-like casts over blades of grass, polluted waters - murky from main street congestion, and saw trees drilled and manipulated like they were someone's pine wood derby without wheels.
There is so much that we can do. We all individually have a roll to play by not being the problem. Many seem to give up when faced with uncertainty or set backs. I mean why shouldn't someone litter? What is one more piece of trash and one more plastic water bottle. Oh ew. Not only is research being released regularly describing the toxins found in plastic but they are crowding our oceans and polluting our clean water. Why shouldn't you litter? Why should you?! What is waiting five minutes to throw it away in a trash can or waiting to get home to get rid of it. Heaven forbid if you miss the can the first time that you should pick it up. What an absurd idea? Really, its disgusting. Are you really that lazy? Really?
Little known fact about the rain. It is the longest standing beat-boxing champion in the history of the world. Ya, true story. I dare you to just listen and try not to be impressed. Each drop adding a layer to the rhythm, every drip keeping tempo. Really.
Look around.
Open your eyes.
Open your ears.
Try not to be impressed.

Happy Earth Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment